Sketching at Altered Esthetics' "Suited Up"


Above: Long strip of hot press watercolor with a 2 minute warm up sketch (left) and a 10 minute pose. Click on the image to view an enlargement. I was working with a Staedtler Pigment Liner .1 which is very thin. I didn't have time to put in any facial details.

Last night I went with the Avidors to Altered Esthetics costumed model drawing. This happens the third Wednesday of every month. It's a pleasant group with volunteer models who dress up based on the evening's theme.

Above: A child in a black cat costume attacking a Tweetie Bird costume. Click on the image to view an enlargement.

The theme last night was "Suited Up" and that included everything from a regular business suit to period costumes to a child in a cat costume. After the warm up most of the poses were 10 minute poses and when they were double poses I had to focus just on one figure, but I think it's good practice and I'll keep at it.

There is a suggested $3 donation for the evening. People sit around in chairs in a circle while the model(s) is(are) in the center. You can get up and walk around to get a different view if you feel so inclined. 

Below are two more sketches from the evening. I did a final pose of a model sprawled on the floor, but I'm saving that for a project I'm working on. All in all I thought it was a very productive evening. If you want some practice sketching people I recommend that you check out this event.

Left: I switched to a slightly textured watercolor paper (again, scraps that were long) and a Graphite Stabilo All (which is watersoluble). In the final image below the model wore a big floppy hat which I had to keep revising to larger as I drew her features. She had a long dress with lace sleeves. She held a rather odd frame that I wasn't interested in drawing. Click on either image to view enlargements. Both were 10 minute poses.


Comments

  1. Great sketches, Roz and thanks for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting work on a great idea--wish there were more of these. Everyone gets more familiar with sketching by sketching.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment