A Tour of the Commons in Minneapolis

Usually when I hear the word "commons" I think of the Garrett Hardin's 1968 essay "Tragedy of the Commons" which inspired this comic I did years ago. But the commons is still around us, you just need a bicycle and some guides to show you where it is.

Roberta and I biked over to Augsburg College for the start of a bike tour with journalist Jay Walljasper, author of "All That We Share", Augsburg sociology professor Lars Christiansen and climate activist Ulla Nilsen. It was a wonderful day for a bike ride and we learned a great deal and ended up at the Government Plaza where the the Occupation was taking place.

Here's some quick sketches I did along the way ending with a pitchman for peace Lloyd Brant with his Emergency Clown Nose (click sketch to make it larger):

Comments